A variation on lemon curd or lemon butter, this recipe was largely an attempt to use up some of the passionfruit produced by the 4 vines in our backyard. It’s good on a bit of bread or anything you might use jam for. By the way, did you know that in Tanzania, passionfruit aren’t purple? They’re yellow, and you want to use them before they get all shrivelled.
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Blue Band (margarine if you have it!)
- (about) 20 passionfruit – enough to get 2/3 cup passionfruit juice
- Halve all passionfruit and strain the seeds so you are left with just the juice. Reserve a teaspoon or two of seeds (optional) and ditch the rest.
- Whisk together sugar and margarine until pale and soft (sugar need not be completely dissolved).
- Add the eggs one at a time always whisking.
- Add the passionfruit pulp and reserved seeds if you’re using them, whisk and pour into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Cook at low-medium heat, always stirring until mixture thickens and leaves a path on the back of spoon when finger is drawn across – about 20 mins. It will also look yellower and more glossy.
- Let cool and store in the fridge. It will thicken further as it cools and sits.
Tamie Davis is an Aussie living in Tanzania, writing at meetjesusatuni.com.